Monday 30 March 2009

Scotland: Like Watching Paint Dry

Scotland had their arses handed to them on Saturday evening against Holland during a World Cup qualifier and I find myself in all too familiar territory. That's why I've decided to give up watching my home country perform in televised sports. I can't endure anymore of the mediocrity and pain which comes from hoping, beyond all hope, that maybe, just maybe Scotland can win, not even win just hold out for a draw, a single point which may, or may not, secure a place in the tournament, competition, qualifying round or championship, after some long winded mathematics. But it never happens because what does happen is...well, nothing. Yes, they may pull off the odd shocker against France (footy), or England, (rugger), but it still never amounts to anything. I've been cheering on my home country since I was wearing short trousers and I've yet to think of any major wins, (except for the Grand Slam in 1990), which has left me feeling satisfied as a sports fan.
Watching the game on Saturday night I didn't feel any butterflies of excitement, didn't feel the need to chew my nails down to the quick. I just sat there and watched the whole sorry story unfold like some sort of stereotypical and all to obvious script. We are worse than ever as a sporting nation in both football and rugby and my memories these days of watching my home country compete, comprise of a horrific slide show/montage of near misses, fumbles, mistakes and howlers. It's just not fun anymore, it's boring and uninspiring.
Some over-fed and over-paid sporting journalists are so arrogant that they will be calling for manager Goerge Burley's head if Scotland don't beat Iceland, Norway and Macedonia, the so-called "minnows" of our group, those countries which play football on a lower level than us. I personally don't rate Burley but for Christ's sake those journalists have really short memories.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment