Monday 9 February 2009

"I Didn't Know He Was Really An Asshole"



I haven't seen The Wrestler, although Frisbee Dog tells me I should, but I somehow imagine that the situations Mickey Rourke finds himself in the film, aren't a million miles away from the incident you can watch in the video above.
Apparently on 7th February after a WWE Raw event, (whatever the fuck that is?), at Victoria in Canada, wrestler Chris Jericho was mobbed by angry fans as he tried to leave the arena's car park. Due to a complete lack of security, one female fan, who was so incensed by Jericho's presence, got close to the wrestler and spat in his face.
Now I'm a full blooded, physically fit, highly active male and at no point in my life do I ever foresee either spitting on somebody, or provoking a professional wrestler in an angry fashion. Justifiably Jericho lashed out, (spitting is deemed legally as assault), and took matters into his own hands as you will see in the video.
But this is where things get a little hazy for me. I have this undeniable feeling that all of this is yet another crock of shit and is either a publicity stunt or part of a viral video marketing campaign. WWE has a notorious reputation for playing out pretend situations in a highly realistic and convincing fashion, (after all that's the whole ethos of professional wrestling), and I can't help but wonder if maybe this is just another fine example of their work. See what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment