Thursday 12 February 2009

I Talk To Myself And Wave At People

Now let's get this straight, I don't have full blown conversations to myself or launch into monologues. I have a habit of speaking out loud the words and sentences that are currently running through my head, and it only happens when I spy somebody I know.
For example if I'm walking down a street and I see you up ahead on the other side of the street, I'll say out loud, to myself: "Oh look, there's whodoyamacallit whatshishersface." And then I'll wave over to you and if you don't happen to initially see me and wave back I then say, (while waving like a loon),: "Oh...oh...oh aye you never saw me there."(you do see me and you do wave back), "Oh no, no, no wait, aye you did. Aye there you go. Aye hello how you doin'?" At this point after we've finished waving at each other I realise I've been speaking out loud again and so I increase the speed of my walk or turn into a shop I have absolute no interest in, knowing full well somebody must have heard me and they're probably now convinced I'm on a special day out.
But what I've just recently realised is that the people I know, the people that I wave to are sometimes close enough to notice that I'm talking to myself. They can't hear what I'm saying but they're close enough to see my lips moving and since I'm not with anyone they must be thinking to themselves: "Who the fuck is he talking to? Is he talking to himself? I bet he's waving over at me and saying to himself: "Look at that arsehole waving at me. I can't stand him/her. Aye that's right, wave over ya cabbage.""
Needless to say I'm now putting a stop to it now. Talking to myself and swearing are now things of the past and my lips won't move again when I see you in the street. I promise. But I'm interested to know, am I alone in this matter?

1 comment:

  1. I might be guilty of muttering to myself, but i'm not sure I launch into a full on chat... I think it's more 'mad old lady' chatter like:
    "F*cking f*cukpig why are you walking so slow? Is something wrong with you? Can't you just move." I do a lot less of it now I don't work in London though... London is just full of people to mutter and swear at.

    ReplyDelete